Sunday, September 11, 2011

A decade ago ...

I'm certain that if you ask any American
what they were doing the moment they heard the
news of the terror attacks of September 11, 2001
they could tell you exactly.

I can actually give you an account of what I did
the entire day ...

I'll spare you the details because I feel
certain you have your own account of the day that changed Americans forever.

It's the only time in my adult life I went to bed afraid.
The skies were eerily quiet.
As I lay there, I remember praying quietly for America
and the for safety of loved ones scattered across the country,
most of them in or near major Metropolitan areas.

Not that you could tell anything was wrong by my surroundings.
I live in a small community in rural Appalachia so it appeared
as though all was right in the world.
Of course the events of the morning had proven differently.

Today I honor the memory of those killed on that day
and I pray for the hearts of those who experienced loss of ...

a loved one,

a friend,

 a neighbor,

 a co-worker,

 an aquaintance.

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding,
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7)

That is my prayer for you because,
even a decade later,
it's hard to understand.
Isn't it?
I think so.

September 11, 2001.

It taught me something.

God is in control.

He is in control
even when,
no,
 especially when
 everything in us and
surrounding us
appears to be
spiraling out of control.

"But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord God,
 that I may declare all thy works" (Psalms 73:28)





No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments! I'm so glad you came to visit!