Thursday, December 29, 2011

Lord Have Mercy ...

Mercy. I try to err on the side of it. I'm not always successful.  Jesus extended it. Often.  
 
Blind Bartimaeus asked for it. Specifically. In Mark 10:46-52, an awesome visual comes to my mind as I read. I see a blind beggar, who has heard that Jesus is coming & he begins to cry out for mercy ... literally. "Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me" (can you see it?)

I love this next part, because in spite of being shushed by many, he cried all the more ... "Thou son of David, have mercy on me" ...  Lesson here?

Hmm, let me think ... when you find yourself in need of mercy, it's a good idea to cry out to the Lord for it. It's also a good idea to ignore the naysayers who tell you to be quiet (i.e. "you're making a fool out of yourself") & cry out. Louder.  (BTW,  when I read this passage, I also 'hear' The Flores Family in my head singing "Jesus Is Passing By" but unless you went to the Bellflower COG, in the mid-70's, you're not likely to have the same experience ;).

In Luke 23:40-43, another visual of love & mercy is painted in my mind. Another perfect example of mercy extended (& just in the nick of time) to the thief on the cross. What did this man do to receive mercy? Let's see ....

And he said unto Jesus "Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom" .... Jesus' response? ... "Verily I say unto thee, today thou shalt be with me in paradise".

He. just. asked. Again, when in need of mercy, what should you do?  Ask. Cry out. Cry. out. loud. LOUDER!  (While I don't advocate waiting until death is imminent because let's face it, not everyone is granted the opportunity, this passage also makes a case for deathbed repentance. No matter what you've done, where you've been, where you're at. If you've never known Him or are in a backslidden condition, if you find yourself in such a predicament, cry out to Jesus. Please. :)

John Chapter 8:3-11, paints another picture of mercy. "Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act".  Her accusers came quoting scripture ... "Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (you get the sense that they're trying to trip him up, huh? Silly Pharisees!) His answer was simple (& brilliant), first (with his finger) He wrote on the ground as though he heard them not (v.6) and then He said "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her" ... then he wrote something else & when He looked up they were gone.  "Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?"  "No man, Lord".  (On another note, when I get to Heaven, I'm soooo asking Him what it was that He wrote!).

"Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more" ... Mercy.  She didn't even ask for it but, she was in desperate need of it. Quickly. And she received it.  Isn't that just like Jesus? :)

Defined as: compassionate or kindly forbearance shown toward an offender, an enemy or other person in one's power; compassion, pity or benevolence: the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment; an act of kindness, compassion or favor; something that gives evidence of divine favor; blessing.

(My family &) I have been the recipient(s) of mercy more times than I can count; I'm certain, more times than I'm even aware & remain in need of it. 
 
It is my intention plan hope prayer that I extend it whenever possible with the words of my mouth, my actions, my attitudes, when it's within my power - when I feel like it but especially when I don't (which begs the question: Is it really mercy if it's easily granted? I don't know. The thought just came to me.).

"I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth, will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, " (Psalm 89:1)

Lord have mercy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments! I'm so glad you came to visit!