Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Whatsoever ...

Finally, brethren,
whatsoever things are true,
whatsoever things are honest,
whatsoever things are just,
whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely,
whatsoever things are  of good report;
if there be any virtue,
and if there be any praise,
think on these things.
Philipians 4:8

This scripture always reminds me of a Native American proverb that someone shared with me years ago. 
(I feel certain you've heard it too).

  It's the story of a boy, angry and upset over an injustice, who expresses his feelings to his grandfather. His grandfather is sympathetic and confesses that he experiences the same feelings.

“It is as if I have two wolves living within me.
One is good, does no harm, is slow to anger and will only fight when it is right to do so. But the other one fights everything & everyone. The smallest offense makes it furious".

The grandson looks into the eyes of the wise, old man and asks “Grandfather, which one wins?”

And his grandfather's replies ...

 “Whichever one I feed.”


Truth. Such truth.
Wisdom. Much wisdom.

If we are mindful which wolf we feed and make it a point our goal to only think on  things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous and full of praise
and not feed give place to bad thoughts, hurt feelings, petty jealousy or reminders of past offenses we wouldn't be able to stay in the mulligrubs (n., a despondent, sullen or ill-tempered mood) - not for long anyway! - and everyone we come in contact with (not the least of which, our spouse & the kiddos) would catch on and I'd bet big $$  (if I did that sort of thing ;) that all our lives would be the better for it.
Agree?
(Come on. Admit it. You know you do!)

Agreed!

There's no time like the present so I've decided that I'm going to do my best (and let's face it, my best is NOT going to be enough) to follow the Apostle Paul's "advice" (inspired by the Holy Spirit) to the Philipians and focus only on all things positive, give others the benefit of the doubt
 (instead of immediately jumping to "Oh no she didn't" ;)

 I've prayed and asked the Lord to help me and because I ask, I'm trusting Him to do just that 'cause He said He would!
(John 14:14)

I know this won't be easy but my victory is assured!
How do I know?
Read a little farther ...

~ I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me~
(Philippians 4:13)

My challenge to you is for you to join me
(assuming you don't already do it & if you do ... BRAVO!)

It's May 1st ...
Start the month off thinking only positive thoughts
and things that are pleasing to the Lord
and the rest of 2012 is guaranteed to be
positively fantabulous!


BTW, as of the last couple of years, this scripture also makes me think of one of my favorite blogs:
whatever

You should pop over for a visit with Meg ... you'll be glad you did! :)







2 comments:

  1. What a timely reminder, my friend. Only by letting go of the past can we experience the present (aka the gift) to the fullest as the Lord intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in... but man!!! I feel some ruff seas ahead...thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments! I'm so glad you came to visit!