Saturday, September 11, 2010

Hard to say "Good Bye" but I am blessed ...

My oldest son & his family left to go back home to Florida this morning.  He hadn't been here in 2 1/2 years so his week long visit was all too short and seemed to fly by.  As I watched him drive away, his family in tow, I was heartbroken ... I did manage to hold back the tears until after he left, knowing that a teary-eyed mama would only make him sad. I know he would have liked to stay longer too but duty calls --- he has to be back on base on Monday and is scheduled to be deployed very soon.   I came back into the house only to realize that today is September 11th -- the 9th anniversary of the day our country was attacked -- the day that forever changed us -- Americans. 

I remember all too well exactly where I was and what I was doing the morning those planes flew into the Twin Towers.  I remember the fear that gripped my heart when the additional attack on the Pentagon and the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania occurred.  That night was the first night, as an adult, that I went to bed afraid ... fearful of what the morning would bring.  Would there be more attacks in the night?  It was especially quiet because all planes had been grounded, remember? If it was quiet here in rural WV, I can only imagine how eerily quiet it must have been in major Metropolitan areas in this country!  The images of the burning towers, the dust, people screaming, people dying still come to my mind so vividly when I sit and think of that day.

So I'll continue to trust God to keep Joshua -- to get him & his family safely home, to encamp angels 'round about his ship in port & on deployment, to keep his wife & daughter safe & sound in his absence -- to bring him back home to Fall Creek ~~ always!  My goodbye this morning hurt my heart (of course, his daddy felt it too!) but my son is alive and well with a lovely wife, a precious daughter and a thriving career that he enjoys.  I've spent the rest of the day thinking of & praying for those who lost a loved one on September 11, 2001 because they are left with only memories of those they loved as dearly.  I was able to smooch my son's face, hug his neck and tell him "Your momma loves you Joshua". I am a blessed woman.

1 comment:

  1. My heart hurts for you friend...and I'm thankful with you as well...praying B

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments! I'm so glad you came to visit!